Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Rediscovered Goals & Purpose for Writing


So…this post is in response to facing something I knew would happen eventually. I decided to build up my writer repertoire by meeting with a writing group and getting to know others with similar aspirations. Sadly, I was disappointed.

As writers we have an important task and have to ask ourselves the question: Do we write merely for our own and others’ entertainment? Or do we have a purpose and goal we seek to achieve? Possibly make our society and world a better place through our words. 

I choose to bring my little corner of the world and those I meet “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self- control”. Sound familiar? I hope so because those are the Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). If I am simply writing for my own entertainment, or possibly money and fame, my purpose is empty and useless. But I strive for more. I want young girls to have a quality story that builds up their confidence and drives them to be quality people.

What I met today was not consistent with my goals. Yes, I would like to meet and share critiques with other authors. But, NO, I do not want to read their romance/erotic, gender-neutral/etc, or language-filled mature rated books.

I am not being legalistic. Legalism is pushing my morals/ideals on others with the implication that our works save us. Instead, I’m discriminating. (Yes, I know that word has received a bad rap lately.) I discriminate (not against a person’s race or ethnicity) but by what they do. (The Batman quote comes to mind: “But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.”) I judge a book by its cover. I do not want to read filth for the simple reason that I do not want that junk in my mind. Jesus puts it best in these quotes: "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.” (Luke 6: 45) And, “…For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matt 12:34)

So, instead of wallowing in the filthy entertainment of this world, my goal is to provide novels that inspire my readers to become better people, to have strong morals, and know their value. And, if you remain my friend after reading this, I hope (and expect! ;) you to keep me accountable. 

Thank you for your time and I’ll step down from my soapbox now with this last thought: “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (Proverbs 4:23)

~ Rebecca Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment