Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Christine's Quilt

I finished my first quilt! 


I made this quilt as a gift for my awesome sister Christine! She picked the colors: orange and blue, and a pattern she liked: chevron. Well, it started out chevron but adventures have a way of finding me and the quilt took on a new design! 


I found the pattern for a chevron quilt online here: http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_bella-solids-zz.pdf. I had started the quilt using the pattern to make my zig-zags horizontal, but then...I lost my printed out copy. Not thinking, I just used the instructions for a vertical quilt. Not The Same!! Good thing was I had almost half and half, so instead of taking out half of my small squares, I went with it! And Christine loves it! 
 After working on it for 5 months (on and off, only at CBC's Ladies Sewing Group), it is finally finished and delivered! (Christine visited me in Alaska and picked it up herself!) 
All of this to say: Never Give Up (Never Surrender!!! My geek side is showing through). Embrace the adventures along the way and enjoy life. Things don't always turn out the way you planned but you'll have a one-of-a-kind quilt!

Here are some more pictures! 


Front and back view. 


Fabric on back. 


Instead of quilting over the top, we tied it with embroidery thread. (Christine actually did this part when she visited me.)

I'm excited to show off the quilt I'm working on now...but that will have to wait because it's a gift. Oh, and it's not done...but it WILL take LESS than 5 months! I'm actually almost halfway done in just 2 weeks! 

Love you, Chrsitine! 

3 comments:

  1. Very Gorgeous. I am so intimidated but quilting but its on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! The hard part is that it's very mathematical and precise, and difficult to get too creative...but it's fun!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for my awesome quilt. :)

    - Christine

    ReplyDelete