Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Pirates!

Hello!

From the feedback I received from my last post, I take it that pirates are popular and Duchess of the Seas is intriguing! Thanks Sharon, Nova and Jessie for your interest and excitement! You are inspiring me to continue writing this new novel! Duchess is my CampNaNoWriMo project (to finish writing a complete first draft in less than a month!) It's been difficult finding time to write during the beautiful Alaskan summer and, guiltily, it was been taking from my school work time. But when the muse is knocking, I can't ignore it...even at 3am! In the past two weeks, I've stayed up past 3am twice! (I can't blame the baby bear anymore, especially since he's been sleeping through the night finally. Yay!)

So, based on requests for MORE Duchess of the Seas and pirates, I am including an excerpt from Chapter 2! (Mind you, this is a first draft and needs work.) Enjoy!

Also, if you would like to read Duchess of the Seas in its entirety (Chapter 1 & 2), it is available on Wattpad, an online 'publishing' website. I will be sharing chapters as I write them.
https://www.wattpad.com/story/78102876-duchess-of-the-seas 

Credit: http://www.allmacwallpaper.com/mac-wallpaper/-Ghost-Ship/4422

* * *


My mind stole me back to the day I had met him, consequently the worst day of my life. A small drizzle poured misery over the world as I stood in my blackest dress and watched as the coffin was slowly lowered into the earth. I raised a handkerchief and wiped the constant flow of tears from the corners of my eyes. The reality that left me an orphan was still fresh and painful. Waide, a childhood friend, held an umbrella over me and whispered all would be tended to. With him by my side, I hadn’t needed to worry over the details of the funeral or the financials.
            I stepped forward, resting a rose next to the headstone and let the sky shed its tears for me. Knowing once I moved from this spot, my life must go on without my father, I remained where I was. Instead, I looked around at those who had come to grieve his passing. [Add in several family, relatives, family friends, etc] But just beyond, hidden in the shade of a silver birch tree, stood a man I did not know. He wore a dark tailcoat and hat and watched warily as the others left, some sharing a parting condolence as they passed. Last of all, he neared and lowered his hat. He had a square jaw with a sandy growth of beard on his chin, and messy blonde hair tied at the nape of his neck. Green eyes glanced up from a bronzed face, sympathetic and considering as he took my hand and shared his sympathy at my loss. I held my breath and gazed back. His words reflected knowledge of my father, but I had never met this man.
            Waide pushed next to me, taking my arm and pulling me back. “Excuse me,” he spoke coldly. “But we have not had the pleasure of your acquaintance, sir, and this is a solemn event.”
            “I apologize,” he bowed formally. “I am Reid Lachlan.”

***
 
The evening gatherings multiplied in the following weeks as the young women, especially Hazle, brawled for the young sea captain’s attention. I could say, with honor, I detached myself from this gaggle of females and engaged myself in other diversions while amongst my friends and acquaintances. Yet, I must confess, I constantly kept an open ear during Reid Lachlan’s tales and finally took on the official management of my father’s financial and business assets, mainly to speak with him alone again.
            He entered my father’s office, a little less formally attired. He wore an open blue jacket with a rumpled white collared shirt and carried water-stained journals in scrawled handwriting. “Good morning, Lady Castleton,” he said as he dropped the paperwork on the desk. “Here are the records, but I fear mine and my crew’s scribbles are unreadable.”
            I lifted a sheet and raised my brows as it crumpled under my touch. “I suppose you can just tell me.” He sat down in the cushioned chair with a grin, until I added, “Since all the other women in Doncaster are familiar with the commerce of my ship.”
            He leaned his elbows on his knees and glanced across the desk at me amused. “I am happy to oblige.” His open demeanor and candid smile drew me in. He shared his account of the past three years on board the Crimson Crest, describing foreign shores and exotic lands. I listened with abated breath and gazed at him as he spoke, feeling my heart spin wildly at his adventures.
            Hours had gone by before I noticed the time. We were leaned over a rough sketch he had drawn of the galleon, showing the damage it had sustained in its journeys when I noticed. “Oh dear,” I gasped. “Time has escaped us, Mr. Lachlan.” I glanced up from the drawing. Our faces were inches apart. My breath caught in my throat and lost myself in his green eyes.
            “Please,” he spoke slowly. “You may call me Reid.”
            I blushed. 

 *Thank you for reading! And, as you can see, I added two excerpts, because I just love Reid so much! Also, please ignore my notes where I will return later and fill in more detail.*

~Beca Henry

3 comments: